How-To Make Homemade Almond Milk
Super easy, tastes so much better than store-bought, and you can control the ingredients/sweetness.
I recently realized I go through tons of almond milk… making trips to the grocery store as often as once a week for it. So I set a goal to buy less, and make more. I use almond milk every day whether it be cereal, soup, oats, cookies, or lattes. Making my own means its FRESH, contains NO additives, and I won’t be using excess packaging – win/win.
I buy raw & organic almonds in bulk from the local Honest Weight Food Co-op and I bring a large mason jar to take them home with me. The nut bag I use I will list below!
What you will need:
- A good blender
- 1 cup raw and organic almonds
- 4-6 cups filtered water
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 3 dates – this is optional and I personally very rarely put in dates but I know some people like their almond milk on the sweeter side.
- Pour enough filtered water to cover your almonds. You’re going to soak them for 8 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. To expedite the process you can also use boiling water. In the morning, RINSE THEM WELL – almonds release toxins when soaked.
2. Place your 1 cup of almonds and 4-6 cups of filtered water into the blender. I use 5 cups – making the milk thinner. Blend on high for 2-3 minutes.
3. Get a large bowl to place underneath the nut bag. Pour the mixture into a nut bag and squeeze the milk into the large bowl. Nut bags are delicate so try to be gentle.
4. Once all your liquid is squeezed into the bowl, pour the milk back into the blender, add salt, vanilla, and dates if you want. Blend for 1 minute. Pour into large mason jar and store in refrigerator.
Keeps good for 3 days or 4-5 if you use an air-tight container. I make my almond milk in small batches so I know I won’t be wasting any.
Here is my favorite brand: Ellie’s Best – I highly suggest this nut bag. I have gone through more nut bags than I can count… it’s hard to find a brand that doesn’t rip, this one works like a gem! Use code “peachy” to receive 10% off your order!
There’s nothing like fresh creamy homemade almond milk – Enjoy!